Thanks to the great folk at All-Silhouettes for the great zombie package, hip hop package, crowd package and running package. Saved me a ton of work doing silos of me doing all of those poses. Also special thanks to Daniel W. Kelly (NSFW) for his zombie movie expertise and his dire warning that zombie purists will declare a holy jihad by some of my inclusions. Who cares. It made me chuckle.
Occasionally I like to link to some random stuff and call it “links n’ junk” but I have two sites here that are so not in the junk sphere that I couldn’t properly label this post in that way.
First, we have Designers & Books which describes itself as:
devoted to publishing lists of books that esteemed members of the design community identify as personally important, meaningful, and formative—books that have shaped their values, their worldview, and their ideas about design.
That’s pretty flipping interesting while simultaneously wrapped in nicely designed site:
Then we have a site by my buddy Matthew which I’ve linked to earlier but just need to bring up often: Stretchbook. He describes it as “a collection of creative exercise” and “where ideas go to work out”.
In our lifetime we’ll only get a few moments to wax poetic and review things from our narcissist pinnacle, and with MCF now being gone from the blogging world, I am left picking up the slacker’s slack. In this post, I want to flashback over the last ten years and declare, as only a person who is overly self-assure can, what is the best-of-the-best-of-the-decade. Of course, this also being the end of 2010, I’ll have to also touch on the Best-of-the-Best of 2010. And maybe, I might just throw in the best of my blog posts, to put a cherry on top of my ego.
This was a crazy 10 years. I went from just getting married in 1999 to being a father of 3 and now owning a second dog. I moved from the capital of the World to the middle of No Where. I went from Art Director to Senior Art Director slash Web Designer. Life is crazy. And here’s the Decade in Review to prove it!
Music: Although somewhat hard, Pearl Jam and Nirvana‘s best stuff is firmly grounded in the 90s so I don’t have to care as much about my choices. And yet, the 2000’s gave us the return of Michael Jackson with Invincible, his first album in 6 years and the last album he’d produce before dying!
- Best Music of 2010: Either Jimmy Hendrix’s Valley of Neptune or Johnny Cash’s haunting Ain’t No Grave (youtube)
- Best Music of the Decade: We might not like it but Eminem and Britney Spears are probably at the top. But I’d say the White Stripes even if they came out of the 90s or at least one song from Outkast.
News:The news was CRAZY this decade so to try to pin it down only one story is ridiculous. Don’t mind me if I cheat by splitting the categories
- Best World News of 2010: Either the Haiti Earthquake or the Rescue of the Chilean Miners
- Best Word News of the Decade: A Tsunami? A Hurricane? Deaths (A Victim, A Pope, A Terrorist, A Dictator, An Idol)? 9/11? Global Wars? Tough to call. Maybe we should just pick Y2K.
- Best Political News of 2010: Scott Brown (R) wins long time Democrat seat.
- Best Political News of the Decade: US elects their first Black President.
Entertainment: I love me my entertainment and I would’ve had some serious problems but we’ve had some real stand outs this decade.
- Best TV Show of 2010: You would think AMC’s The Walking Dead, but PBS’s Sherlock wins hands down.
- Best TV Show of the Decade: Please don’t say American Idol. Just say Lost.
- Best Movie of 2010: Loads of folk say Inception but I’d say either Toy Story 3 or Tangled
- Best Movie of the Decade: Lord of the Rings (All Three as One).
- Best Popular Christian Book of 2010: Either Craig’s On Guard or Copan’s Is God A Moral Monster
- Best Popular Christian Book of the Decade: Ugh it’s probably gonna’ be something like Blue Like Jazz. If I could get away with it, I’d say the Harry Potter series (though it started in the 90s). Does the Resurrection of the Son of God by Wright count as a popular level book?
- Best SF Fiction of the Decade:Can I say the Harry Potter series now, even though it started in the 90s? Alright, World War Z
Tek: Yeah there’s been a whole mess of technological advances so I’m just going to list some tops.
- Best Operating System of 2010: Nope, not Windows 7–that came out in ’09. So did Snow Leopard. iOS4 for the iPhone might qualify but nope. Ubuntu 10 owns them all.
- Best Operating System of the Decade: OSX? Maybe based on Macophiles ranting popularity, sort of like the nutters that demand that Lady Gaga is the best of the Decade, but I’d say Ubuntu.
- Best Failure of 2010: iPad comes close when it launched without 3G, and missing ports that most mobile devices carried. Sony’s Rugged Unbreakable Phone which broke, live, on the air. Woops.
- Best Failure of the Decade: Apple’s Puck Mouse? Maybe. Vista? Close, but nope. Windows ME keeps the honor.
- Best Technological Innovation of 2010: Apple’s iPad.
- Best Technological Innovation of the Decade: Nope, not Touch Devices. Not the Wii. Maybe Interactive On Demand Media or Social Networking. But totally Wi-Fi.
Blog Posts: Narcissim at its best.
- Best Bible Archive Blog Post of the Decade: To Train Up A Child (An Examination of the Pearl Method) or my study on Romans.
- Best Rey Reynoso Blog Post of the Decade: Towards A Valuation of the Arts might be up there but Smurfs vs. Hobbits for the win. On second thought, no: TTFN New York
- And oh yeah, I finished another Novel which I’ll be posting some time next year. Woot.